" A typical example of the
mechanics of forming a unit took place at Marshall in April, 1861, when
the organization of the W.P. Lane Rangers Company was announced.
Volunteers were expected to supply their own mounts while the state
agreed to furnish arms. On the appointed day the young men were massed
in the center of the town, had their horses examined for
serviceability, ( Note, the Confederate Congress authorized the sum
of $ .40 cents per day for men that used their own horses.)
elected their officers, and were given an oath of allegiance to Texas
by a local judge. The rest of the day was spent in preparing the unit's
roll of members and in attending a special church service. The next
morning saw the company reassembled in the town square, awaiting the
presentation of a flag that had been made by the young ladies of
Marshall. After a long and flowery presentation speech, the banner,
reported to have measured six by fifteen feet, was accepted by the
unit. Then, at noon, amidst tears and kisses, the company took up the
march to its destiny. A few miles down the road, however, destiny was
delayed while the men were feasted at a local college. By dusk the
badly scattered soldiers straggled to a camping site and dined on
delicacies that had been brought from home. The Rangers were feted,
lauded, and blessed in almost every town through which they passed.
Late in May they arrived in San Antonio where they were armed, mustered
into Confederate service as Company "F" of the Second Texas Mounted
Rifles, and assigned to patrol duty on the state's frontier. "